This page may contain affiliate links for your convenience.
It’s 2019 and no one (with any credibility) can deny the need for sustainable business practices. Even the CEO’s and shareholders who are only concerned with profitability and revenue growth understand that the sustainability of our economy depends on — fresh water, breathable air, robust biodiversity, usable soil for farming, and stable societies.
Unfortunately, the threat of climate change that is causing — rising sea levels, rising temperatures leading to unlivable climates, air pollution, the spread of disease, extreme weather patterns, etc.. — will change our economy and societal stability in the near future.
It is time for us to grow up and understand that we must be environmentally conscious and support sustainable companies for the future of our planet and the future sustainability of economic growth.
For me, it can be overwhelming to think about all of the massive challenges we face as the human species, but there are simple small steps to take to be environmentally conscious.
To start, we can choose sustainable brands and products that reduce the use of single-use plastics, energy/carbon, and pollution.
Here are 20 of the sustainable brands and products our family use at home to be environmentally conscious and make a small difference.
Even better, these are all available on Amazon!
- Swell vacuum insulated water bottle 17 oz blue suede
Reduce the number of plastic water bottles you use by using a reusable one like Swell
Established in 2010, S’well is the only reusable bottle that looks great and does good. S’well keeps your drinks cold for 24 hours or hot for 12 while giving back to those in need. S’well bottles are beautifully crafted and designed to last. Composed of 18/8 premium grade stainless steel, S’well bottles are insulated to eliminate condensation so they never sweat on your hands or in your bag. Designed to suit all of your hydration needs, S’well bottles come in three sizes: 9oz, 17oz, and 25oz. Whether you’re on the road or in the office, there’s a S’well bottle just for you.
2. Stasher Reusable Silicone Food Bag, Sandwich Bag, Sous Vid Bag, Storage Bag, Clear
Stop using single use plastic Ziploc bags by using reusable silicone food/sandwich bags like this one from Stasher.
From the CEO – “How did you come up with the idea for this product?
Inspiration and innovation seem to go hand-in-hand. I had my a-ha moment while making a sandwich. As a busy mother of three, I have been making school lunches for years, and every time I packed her kids’ sandwiches in disposable plastic baggies, I’d think there’s got to be a better way. Aside from the millions of pounds of plastic that goes into landfill each year, I was concerned about the effects of petroleum-based plastics on my family. As the founder of international lifestyle brand modern-twist, I was already using pure silicone to create sustainable housewares and children’s products—why not design a reusable bag made of silicone? Why not, indeed! After more than two years of rigorous product development, the first fully functional, self-sealing non-plastic bag was born: stasher.
What makes your product special?
Stasher, the a self-sealing, airtight, non-plastic bag is made of pure platinum silicone, so it’s a healthy alternative that’s safe for people and the planet. but best of all, stasher can do so much more than plastic bags and containers. It can be used in the freezer, microwave and dishwasher!
What has been the best part of your experience?
The most exciting part has been the innovation behind stasher and developing the pinch press seal technology. We are so excited to offer the world an alternative to plastic baggies that not only functions better than plastic, but also eliminates all the negative impacts on your health and the environment. It is a grand idea, one that I hope will inspire us all to rethink plastic!”
Stop using plastic straws that pollute our oceans by considering stainless steel straws like these.
4. Reusable Bent Glass Drinking Straws, Set of 6 With 2 Cleaning Brushes,Shatter Resistant,BPA Free, Non-Toxic, Eco-Friendly, 200mm x 10mm (Bent 8” x10mm, Multi Color)
Reduce plastic use by considering reusable glass straws.
5. Evolution Trash Bags: Tall Kitchen Trash Bag, 120 Bags/Box, Made with 70% Certified PCR Material
Sustainable white, super stretch, tall kitchen trash bag 24″x32″, .85mil, 120 bags per box, 2 rolls of 60. Perforated bags on rolls for easy separation. Made with 70% (third-party certified) Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) LLDPE. The exclusive closed-loop recycling process allows our trash bags to be manufactured at the highest quality. Exceeds EPA Procurement Guidelines by 700%, UL ECOLOGO certified and counts toward LEED. Proud members of 1% For The Planet. At least 40% of our packaging is made from PCR paper. Made in the U.S.A.
6. Doc Omega Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrushes BPA free and travel case
Dr. Omega is offering these biodegradable plant-based brushes with medium nylon bristles for your pearly whites and for being eco-friendly.
Toss those landfilling plastic toothbrushes away and make sure to give our bamboo toothbrushes a try.
✔ Reduces your carbon footprint
✔ Included for you a free bamboo travel case
✔ You will be so happy when you make the switch
✔ They are so comfortable in your hand
✔ Your teeth will feel so very clean
✔ Makes an ideal gift for any occasion
✔ Love them or your money back. We are confident that you will love your toothbrushes but if you are not satisfied, our products are always backed by 100% Money Back Guarantee!
7. Unni 100% Compostable Pet Poop Bags 300 bags
Replace your single use plastic pet poop bags with these compostable, bio-based pet poop bags from UNNI.
8. Organyc Organic Cotton Swabs 200 each 2 pc
Organyc swabs are made with pure, certified organic cotton. The swab stick is made of recyclable cardboard. These swabs are especially well suited for daily cosmetics, baby and body care. Because organyc values sustainability, the packaging is made with recyclable and biodegradable materials.
9. Scotch Brite Greener Clean Natural Fiber Non Scratch Scrub Sponge
Trust the Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Scrub Sponge Natural Fiber Non-Scratch to clean off the grime without scratching your pots and pans. The sponge contains 100% natural materials — 23% is recycled paper — and the non-scratch scrubbing fibers are made from 50% natural agave plant. Now that’s something to feel good about.
10. Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Lemon Verbena Dish Soap (16 fl oz), Hand Soap (12.5 fl oz), Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner (16 fl oz)
For generations we’ve had to put up with harsh chemical smells to get a good clean. Enter Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day. A collection of household products made with essential oils from flowers and herbs that smell nice, but really pack a punch against daily dirt and grime. Our garden fresh scents include Lavender, Lemon Verbena, Basil, Geranium and many others.
11. Mrs. Meyers Laundry Detergent BlueBell 64 oz
Formulated with essential oils, plant-derived and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients for products that are powerful against dirt and grime while being a pleasure to use.
12. Seventh Generation Toilet Paper, Bath Tissue, 100% Recycled Paper, 48 Rolls
Toilet Paper whitened without chemicals containing chlorine
Toilet Paper made from 100% recycled paper
Minimum 50% post-consumer recycled paper
Toilet Paper with no added dyes and fragrances
13. Bayco Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids, [24 Piece] Glass Meal Prep Containers, Airtight Glass Bento Boxes, BPA Free & FDA Approved & Leak Proof (12 lids & 12 Containers)
We love to use these reusable glass food storage containers for school lunches and leftovers.
14. Jebblas Disposable Dish Cloth Dish Towels and Reusable Cleaning Towels, Handy Cleaning Wipes,Handi Wipe 5 Colors, 60 Sheets/Pack, Great Dish Towel, Disposable, Absorbent, Dry Quickly
Save on the amount of paper towels you use by using reusable dish and cleaning cloths.
15. Maxware 4 Reusable Refillable Coffee Filters For Keurig Family 2.0 and 1.0 Brewers Fits K200, K300/K350/K360,/K450/K460, K500/K550/K560 (Purple, 4)
The founder of Keurig himself has admitted that you regrets inventing the Keurig because of all of the k-cups that can’t be recycled and go into landfills. Use these environmentally conscious reusable and refillable coffee filters for Keurig.
16. Rocketbook Everlast Reusable Smart Notebook, Executive Size
Quit Wasting Paper
Stop throwing away old notebooks. Say no to old notebooks that just collect dust on the shelf. Everlast is endlessly reusable—the last notebook you’ll ever need.
17. Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W Equivalent LED Smart Bulb Starter Kit (4 A19 Bulbs and 1 Hub Compatible with Amazon Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant)
As a dad, I go around the house shutting lights off all day long. Make your life easier and turn on your lights with your smartphone with these smart LED lightbulbs.
18. Nest Nest learning thermostat 3rd generation wifi bluetooth smart thermostat copper, 2.4 Ounce
Something about being a dad makes me monitor our thermostat all winter long. You don’t have to do that if you have this Nest learning thermostat. Check it out here.
19. ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher with Free Water Quality Meter BPA-Free NSF Certified to Reduce Lead and Other Heavy Metals
Using a water filter at home can greatly reduce the amount of plastic water bottles you use at home.
20. Recyclable Grocery Bags 5 Pack Recycled PET Tote Bags For Shopping Foldable Large Volume 50LBS Machine Washable
An obvious choice is to use reusable grocery bags. Take it a step further by using these that are made from recycled plastic bottles.